The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy.

I came that they may have life, and have it in abundance [to the full, till it overflows].

John 10:10 amp

My pondering: Here we have a vivid comparison and choice. The thief or Shepherd. Its amazing so many choose to follow the thief with the abundance of opportunity or make no choice at all, which may be worse. I suppose if the thief didn't disguise himself and offer up bribes and temptations the contrast would be starker. And with our affliction of sin, we are predisposed and bent toward darkness with it's artificial fading light.

What an amazing opportunity and promise Jesus puts forth here, "I have come that they may have life, and have it in all its fullness."

Henry writes: He was both the offerer and the offering, so that his laying down his life was his offering up himself.

The life He speaks of is spritual life for here and heaven. A life of fullness and abundance. Its one of purpose and hope.
Jesus makes our primary purpose clear: To love God and love people. Our hope is found in Him, backed by the Father and fulfilled by the Spirit.

With purpose and hope and Christ in our corner, we are empowered to live this current life to it's fullest; an abundant life.

My prayer: LORD, Help me be all that I can by You, for You and thru You