This is a blog about constantly improving. It's about getting better, at least in some way, every single day.

The number one factor when trying to improve is experience. The more experienced we are, the better we become.

But not all experience is as valuable. Not all experience improves you in the same way. I see two main types of experience: constant and variable.

Constant experience is gained by doing the same thing for very long. It makes you very good at that one thing. Quite often, it also means you would struggle with change.

Variable experience is gained by changing your scenery regularly. It means facing new challenges and new opportunities regularly.

Both types of experience are valuable. It is important to be conscious of the type of experience you wish to gain, though - because you can't have both. You know, time and space constraints and similar annoyances.

I opted for gaining variable experience. I feel it helps me develop. While I don't gain the depths of knowledge some gain in a very narrow field, I gain a broad range of tools I can apply to new challenges. I also get to meet new people. This usually leads to more learning experiences.

This is partly why I enjoy contracting. Every few months I am faced with a new challenge. Every project is different. Every project provides new problems to solve. Each one introduces me to new people.

I owe a lot of my experience and skills to being a contractor. Depending on your life goals - are you gaining the right kind of experience?