CG asks:
Big research questions in your field that are controversial or have mixed evidence (thinking about the minimum wage issue, and there are plenty of examples in my field). Maybe we'll get some good research ideas out of it.
Well, yeah, minimum wage is a big one.
What else do economists not agree on yet... hm....
We don't know a whole lot about a lot of monetary policy. I was trained in Keynesian stuff, but there's disagreements there.
Structural models for labor economics and public finance. There's some other modeling things that are much smaller and tend not to actually matter (I was trained in Cambridge-school instead of Chicago-school beliefs about these, but I have colleagues who were the reverse).
There's still a lot of old-school people who believe that women and minorities are doing poorly because they're playing the game wrong, not because they're playing a different game than white dudes are. That's beginning to change, but it's an uphill battle.
#2 can't really add to this because she's keeping her social science secret and it would be obvious.
Grumpy Nation, what are the big controversies in your respective fields?
No comments:
Post a Comment