Nature Impact Factor

Monday, June 27, 2022

[New post] Pumpkin, A Review

Site logo image georgeapp137 posted: " This year prom's a drag. Dumplin' book review. Dumplin' film review. Puddin' review. From Julie Murphy, Pumpkin follows Waylon Brewer, A fat, gay kid from Clover Cty who has big dreams of getting out and becoming a star. Twin to Clementine, T" Ramblings of a Supposed Writer

Pumpkin, A Review

georgeapp137

Jun 27

This year prom's a drag.

Dumplin' book review. Dumplin' film review. Puddin' review.

From Julie Murphy, Pumpkin follows Waylon Brewer, A fat, gay kid from Clover Cty who has big dreams of getting out and becoming a star. Twin to Clementine, The pair do everything together and had planned on attending the same university in Austin but after Waylon discovers Clem has her own plans he falls apart and begins to seriously rethink his future. Uncertain on what comes next and just wanting to finish high school in peace, Waylon is shocked to discover he has been nominated as prom queen alongside Clem's girlfriend Hannah who has been nominated for King.

Initially the pair try and get their names taken out of the ballot but Hannah then decides to roll with it and leave high school on a bang, campaigning for a win in the hopes of inspiring queer kids everywhere. Waylon also decides to run, getting paired with Tucker Watson, a classmate he has a long history with. Together Waylon and Tucker begin to bond and through campaigning Waylon begins to come out of his shell and realise that not everybody in Clover City is out to get him. As prom grows closer as do Waylon and Tucker, giving him a rare glimpse of optimism for his future. Can Waylon and Hannah actually pull this off and be named prom royalty or will thinhs go wrong yet again, leaving Waylon just where he started?

I really loved reading Pumpkin. Waylon and Clem's introduction and the prom storyline made for a great read and I loved the developing romance between Waylon and Tucker as well as Waylon's growing confidence as the story progressed. Pumpkin really was a book about being yourself in the best possible way and I loved every minute. The prom storyline and how everything was wrapped up made for a great finish, both as a standalone novel and the trilogy overall. One big last dance felt like the perfect way to finish everything off and I loved how we got to say goodbye to all of the characters both old and new. The finale was just one big, gay masterpiece.

Like with all of Murphy's books I always feel so seen through the characters and I think this is especially true with Waylon. His inner monoluge and thoughts and feelings, fears about being accepted and worry about how he'd been percieved by others all resonated so much with me and I feel like this book would have been an absolute Godsent in High School. Waylon's own feelings on being gay and his interactions with the people around him really stuck with me and i think i've definitely shared a lot of Waylon's fears at one point or another on my life. Murphy just has this way of creating such authentic feeling characters and I think that regardless of your gender, sexuality or even race there's always an aspect of her books you can relate to.

I've really enjoyed reading the Dumplin' trilogy over the past few years and getting to know these characters across the shared storylines. I always think it's interesting getting sequels from a different character's perspective (eg Love Simon vs Leah on the Offbeat) because it means we get multiple viewpoints of multiple characters, meaning by the end of the trilogy you get a complete picture on who everyone is. Across the three Dumplin' books we've followed Willowdean, Millie, Hannah, Waylon and more and I feel like I've really come to know and love these characters, flaws and all.

Overall I really loved Pumpkin, it was a great story and a perfect end to the Dumplin' trilogy. Waylon was a great new character and I loved his journey to becoming Prom Queen. Murphy also creates such compelling characters and I liked getting to say goodbye to everyone one last time. A really great book and a really great series, Pumpkin was the perfect finish to a wonderful gay masterpiece.

Comment
Like
Tip icon image You can also reply to this email to leave a comment.

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from Ramblings of a Supposed Writer.
Change your email settings at manage subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
https://georgeapp137.wordpress.com/2022/06/27/pumpkin-a-review/

Powered by WordPress.com
Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play
at June 27, 2022
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

[New post] Woods Hardware Building – Cincinnati, Ohio

...

  • [New post] Woods Hardware Building – Cincinnati, Ohio
    ...
  • [New post] What to do with a hole in the floor?
    PMu posted: "I post a drawing everyday so make sure you follow so you don't miss out on tomorrow's doodle! I...
  • [New post] Jungle Waterfall
    Markosun posted: " Tumpak Sewu, also known as Coban Sewu, is a tiered waterfall that is located between the Pronojiwo D...

Search This Blog

  • Home

About Me

Natureimpactfactor
View my complete profile

Report Abuse

Labels

  • 【ANDROID STUDIO】Await and Async
  • 【FLUTTER ANDROID STUDIO and IOS】animated opacity
  • 【GAMEMAKER】Parallax
  • 【PYTHON】Mean Estimated Accuracy Logistic Regression
  • 【Visual Studio Visual Csharp】Mutex
  • 【Visual Studio Visual VB net】Map Network Drive Wizard

Blog Archive

  • August 2023 (660)
  • July 2023 (866)
  • June 2023 (796)
  • May 2023 (775)
  • April 2023 (809)
  • March 2023 (905)
  • February 2023 (834)
  • January 2023 (905)
  • December 2022 (865)
  • November 2022 (878)
  • October 2022 (940)
  • September 2022 (786)
  • August 2022 (745)
  • July 2022 (823)
  • June 2022 (903)
  • May 2022 (1064)
  • April 2022 (967)
  • March 2022 (786)
  • February 2022 (638)
  • January 2022 (726)
  • December 2021 (1190)
  • November 2021 (3136)
  • October 2021 (3242)
  • September 2021 (3141)
  • August 2021 (3246)
  • July 2021 (3249)
  • June 2021 (3143)
  • May 2021 (301)
Powered by Blogger.