By Shabana Basij-Rasikh, founder of the School of Leadership, Afghanistan (SOLA)
Six weeks ago, on the morning of Wednesday 23 March, I sat at home heartbroken. Devastated. Furious. That morning I spent hours scrolling through images from Afghanistan and, in those images, I saw Afghan teenage girls in their new school uniforms, standing outside their school gates, in tears.
Six weeks ago, the Taliban broke their promise to the world and declared that girls in Afghanistan will not be allowed to attend school beyond grade 6. On that day, they told millions of Afghan girls the same thing that, nearly 25 years ago, they told girls like me: you don't matter. When it comes to your nation's future, you don't exist. And today, just like during their first regime 25 years ago, the Taliban underestimate who they are talking to.
I am an educator of Afghan girls. My daily work, my life's work, is to provide these girls with a safe learning environment – a place where they can become the critical thinkers and leaders who know that they have the power to shape their nation's future. Read more of this post
No comments:
Post a Comment